We take the safety of our staff and students very seriously and acknowledge that safety is a heightened concern during this time. We decided to pause all operations on March 17th, 2020 in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Administration has been closely monitoring the decision and working hard to update our policies, and have made the decision to resume in-person classes.
In April, many of our classes were moved online with the same dedication as always to give our students professional, competitive, and fun training. While online-only classes are still available, Vancouver Young Actors School is excited to offer full-time in-person classes starting Saturday June 6th. We are working hard to continue to follow directions from WorkSafe BC, the BC CDC, and updates from provincial and federal health administrators.
Vancouver Young Actors School is housed at GO Studios, an industry hub in Vancouver. During this time, everyone in the building will be held to the same standards. Please visit the websites for GO Studios and Vancouver Acting School for guidelines and policies set specifically for different activities within the building.
Below is our action plan that we have created to ensure safety without disrupting or compromising the quality of our classes at Vancouver Young Actors School.
- Masks or face coverings are mandatory for all students, instructors, staff, and guests.
- Entry will be denied to anyone without a sufficient mask or face covering or who is experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms as outlined on the BC CDC website.
- Temperatures will be taken upon arrival using a non-invasive temperature check. Anyone with a temperature over 38°C will be asked to wait outside the building for five minutes, at which time their temperature will be re-taken. If their temperature remains over 38°C, they will be denied entry into the building and advised to take the BC Self-Assessment Tool, and to seek testing if required.
- At the beginning of each shift, all staff must complete the Active Health Screening questionnaire as per the Provincial Health Order.
- Everyone must exit out the back door to reduce congestion at the front foyer and stairs. Parents are asked to wait outside the back door while respecting physical distancing while instructors or staff to lead your children outside of the building.
- Hand washing/sanitation is mandatory upon entering the building. A sanitation station has been set up at our main entrance to ensure everyone has access to sanitation materials.
- Clear signs and notices are placed throughout the building stating these policies, as well as guidelines on hand washing and mask wearing.
- Sanitation materials have been placed in each classroom for use on chairs and equipment.
- Sanitation and cleaning schedules have been increased throughout the day.
- All visitors must have an appointment to enter the building to limit the number of people within the building. For inquiries without an appointment, or to set up an appointment, please contact us through phone or email.
- Directional arrows have been implemented to reduce congestion in the hallways.
- Our kitchen facilities have been closed to reduce high touch surfaces and congregation.
- Breaks will be taken within the classrooms.
- Many high traffic doors will be kept ajar to avoid contact with door handles.
- Classrooms have been spaced and clearly labeled to allow students and instructors to be a minimum of 6ft apart
- Each classroom has a maximum occupancy limit that reflects the number of people that can safely physically distance within the space.
- Sufficient physical distancing is clearly labelled to allow students to be able to remove their masks/face coverings when on camera – readers and camera operators will be 6ft away from the student as well as each other.
- Class start times are staggered to allow for extra time between arrivals.
- Break times are staggered to further reduce chance of contact between classes.
- Several programs and individual classes have been moved online to help reduce the number of students and instructors in the building at once.